Tuesday, September 6, 2011

More NYC

As I mentioned - the best part of the trip was watching the interplay between mom and Carson.  Neither one had been to NYC before and I was thrilled to be able to show them around and discover new areas with them.  More than once, I felt like the personal tour guide to two long-lost bff's, eager to explore the big city.

My favourite memories are of the two of them giggling uncontrollably in the bathroom as Carson shaped mom's eyebrows and applied eye makeup.

Mom was such a good sport - the first night we dragged her out at 9:00 p.m. to go for dinner. There were no attempts at Seniors Early-bird specials a la Florida for us.  When in New York, we dine as New Yorkers.  Here we are at Tony's Di Napoli in Times Square, feasting on pasta at 9:40 p.m.

Carson made quite an impression on the fellow pedestrians in Times Square that night.  As mom and I took pictures of her taking in the lights and sights of that vibrant part of the city, many people stopped and stared and tried to figure out if she was a celebrity.

The three of us never managed to coordinate our dress codes.  The nights Carson and I dressed up, mom wanted nothing more to wear whatever went with her comfy sneakers.  For some strange reason, the night we headed to the Empire State Building, mom decided that she would dress up and wear her good sandals.  That was because I assured her that we wouldn't be doing a lot of walking.  

Me bad.

We didn't walk a lot, but we sure did wait in line for a long time.  Thankfully that was the night out when Carson and I chose to wear flat comfy shoes.  By the time we hit the obligatory gift shop at the end of the tour, mom had to get out of her shoes.  So there we were, just outside the gift shop, all switching shoes.  I put on mom's GRANNY SHOES, Carson donned my red flats, and mom ever-so-thankfully, slipped on Carson's flip-flops.  Giggling the whole time.


Dining out is fun, but after a while, even the best meals leave something to be desired.  Carson and I were out for a late dinner the second night at Serafina, not far from our hotel.  We decided that a salad was our best bet and enjoyed it and the ambiance.  However, I have to say that the salad I made tonight was just as good.
 

Of course, it is the company that makes the meal, makes the trip, makes a life.

Every trip I have taken to NYC has been with some wonderful women.  My fourth visit to NYC was the best yet. 

No comments: